Thursday, July 3, 2014

Eating in a Fortress

Hej!

So as the title suggests, I got to eat a traditional Swedish dinner in Elfsborg Fortress off the coast of Gothenburg a few days ago. Now I didn't come up with this idea myself, I just got to attend as part of a UCSB-Chalmers workshop. Earlier this week, several chemical engineering faculty members and some graduate students from UCSB came to present their materials research here at Chalmers. It was interesting to hear the research presented by both universities and see the potential collaborations forming. Even though the universities are across the world from one another, it is amazing how technology allows people to work together from across the globe. Speaking of being across the globe, it was great to see the confused look on my professor's faces when they first saw me in Sweden.

Instead of making this a long blog post, I've decided I'll just post pictures with captions. Feel free to leave any questions in the comments!
That little yellow mini-boat was what we took to the fort.
Dilpreet's on a (mini)-boat. 
The island with the fortress. Look at the windmills!
Part of the fortress, the top bridge had cannons on it. 
Fortress tower. 

At one point the fortress used to be a prison. 

Another building on the island.  

Fancy plate setting at the restaurant. 

Traditional Swedish plate complete with multiple types of pickled herring. 

Swedish apple cake with vanilla sauce. Yummm



Obligatory picture with the cannon! 


My favorite picture of the night - yes, that's UCSB and Chalmers faculty alike jumping in the air.
Alex (my fellow CISEI intern) and me by our tram stop near Brunnsparken. 

Hejda!
Dilpreet


No comments:

Post a Comment