Friday, June 27, 2014

Chalmers

Hello! (or should I say Hej!)

So I've been in Sweden for just over a week now and finally recovered from jet lag. It's about time I wrote about why I'm in Sweden and tell you all a bit about Chalmers (my new second home).

I am funded through CISEI - a great program through the material's department at UCSB which sends two interns per university to several universities throughout Europe and to Fudan University in China (shout out to Vishaal's blog about his adventures in China). Applicants who tend to get chosen have previous research experience, which I had through the EUREKA! program last summer in Santa Barbara. I was fortunate enough to be chosen by Chalmer's Institute of Technology here in Gothenburg, Sweden and am doing research in Professor Martin Andersson's lab. His group focuses on using nanomaterials for biological applications which fits hand in hand with my last research project about using nanoparticles for drug delivery.

Over the past week I've been working with my mentor, Mats Hulander, on reviewing some of his previous research and talking about my project for the summer. Interestingly enough, the lab group just got a new AFM (atomic force microscope) delivered a few weeks ago and a representative from the company in Germany came to help us set it up earlier this week. I spent the first part of the week trying to learn what an AFM measures and then learn the protocol for this new device I'll be working with for the rest of the summer. It's been challenging so far, but I know it will be a very rewarding summer! The only trouble is that you need to be dead silent while working with an AFM so that there is no background noise in the measurements - for me, being quiet for that long will be a challenge, but I think I can do it!

A few logistics about the blog before I leave some pretty pictures of the campus:
a) My goal is to post every Wednesday and Sunday or roughly two times a week except for the weeks I'm on vacation. There might be more mini-blog posts within that time frame if something exceptionally exciting happens during the week.
b) Please leave any comments on things you want to hear more about! I have a list of future blog post topics on hand and I'd love to actually talk about what you all are interested in!

My tram stop (the university is going through some construction).

Bike racks are different here, but the bikes remind me of UCSB! A lot of people commute by bike to work in the city.
  The next few pictures are of the park that is in the middle of campus.



The Chemistry Building, aka Dilpreet's new home.
Some wall art on the chemistry building.
A cool bridge connecting two buildings.
One of the many lounges in the building.
Interesting statue on campus.


Bye for now!
Dilpreet




No comments:

Post a Comment