Thursday, June 19, 2014

Getting Around the City

The past few days have been a bit chaotic adjusting to a new time zone and a new city all without my luggage. Luckily my handbag arrived yesterday and I should be receiving my main checked bag today! My handbag arrived at the perfect time because the weather went from being super warm yesterday to being fairly windy and cloudy today. Luckily I packed a pair of boots and a warm jacket in my handbag so I'm good to go!

Everyone here has been super friendly and welcoming! Its hard to arrive in a new country without your luggage but its been easy to adapt and adjust. While almost everyone speaks English here, most signs are still in Swedish. Grocery shopping yesterday was an adventure because here you weigh your own vegetables and print tags for it so its easier to check out. Its a great idea, but it can be difficult when you don't know the names of the vegetables in Swedish. Luckily everything has pictures next to it so after a bit of guessing, I was eventually able to find and tag everything.

So the best way to get around the city (in my case) has been using the tram. The tram is actually really cool because it is mini shuttle train type things that cycle about every 20 minutes. So getting to the university and around the city has been very easy. I will try to remember to take and post a picture of a tram in my next post.

Because I arrived just before the Swedish Midsummer Festival, which is supposed to fall on the longest day of the year, the days here are ridiculously long. Here is a picture I took outside my window at 10:30 PM last night.
Eye-masks are the key to sleeping here! Speaking of sleep, the jetlag of changing 9 hours between time zones has been terrible. I find myself yawning throughout the day, but hopefully I will rest up this weekend and be accustom to the time zone next week.

I'll leave you guys with a picture of a statue of a horse in the Gothenburg downtown area, I'm not sure of it's significance, but I'll try to figure it out the next time I go downtown!



Bye for now!
Dilpreet
06-19-14

No comments:

Post a Comment